03 January, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I've never been a particularly great proponent of the whole New Year's Resolution thing. Why make a big ritual out of making promises that you know you're going to break? Calling something a New Year's Resolution is basically a kiss of death. If there's a change that needs to be made in your life, then make the damn change! You don't need to announce it and then doom it to failure by couching it as a NYR.

That being said, I have set one goal for myself for 2007. And only one. I could resolve to get more involved in life here or to make sure I engage in some truly meaningful activity for the rest of my time in Kerala, or build some meaningful, lasting relationships. But I'm not going to do that, since there is a lot involved in those promises that I simply have no control over.

I will, however, run every day of 2007. No matter how busy I am, no matter what the weather is like, no matter how i'm feeling physically or mentally, I will run, in some way, shape, or form, every day of this year. I'm not saying that I'm going to run for an hour every day or X miles every day. But I will run at least a little bit every day, even if it's just 10 minutes of the Survival Shuffle. And I'll still try to get two or three quality sessions in each week in addition to my weekend long run. All this goes towards my goal of running a 10K when I get back to the States, and then a marathon in November. It's also a way of making sure that I do something good for myself every day.

I'm off to a good start. Even though I was on a bus all day on the 1st, I ran for a bit when I got back to Aluva at night, and yesterday I managed to get 20 minutes in even though I was otherwise bedridden with vomiting and "loose motion." I think our three week long All-India tour in April will be my biggest challenge, but I have some time before I have to deal with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home